A HUGE thank you!


The Cardiff Fire management and players want to send a huge thank you to everybody that attended this weekends home games. It’s been a long time coming for us, having spent 5 months playing games on the road and with no place to train, we are delighted to have finally played two games at a fantastic place to call ‘home’.

Despite being disappointed with Saturdays result and performance, we are over the moon with the occasion, the fan support and the help we received from our amazing volunteers. Not to mention the hard working Arena staff that have been working through the night to prepare the venue.

Thank you to everybody that helped make it happen and thank you to everybody that bought a ticket and shared in the occasion with us.

Unfortunately results didn’t go all our way.  Our first game was against top of the league Basingstoke.  Although we had previously beaten Basingstoke Buffalo twice in Hampshire 3-0 and 4-3, we knew it wouldn’t be an easy game. Their GB U20 goalie Jordan Lawday was outstanding and that mixed with our nervous energy and excitement just got the better of us.  We ran into serious penalty trouble racking up a huge 55mins throughout the game (including a harsh 5+ game high stick penalty), and the players know you can’t win games from penalty box.

Good news was that our own Robert Sedlak was the first player ever to score a goal at IAW after 15min of play, but unfortunately we couldn’t stop Basingstoke levelling the game on a power-play and scoring a further two goals in 7 mins of the 3rd period.

We then battled hard and Gareth Dixon scored with a good shot from the point to make it 3-2 with 10 mins to go.

We threw everything at Basingstoke, peppering their goalie, a penalty shot and pulling Takel from the net, but it wasn’t enough, Basingstoke had spoilt the party.

Luckily we had our second home game the day after to put things right quickly.  Having said that there was still some nervous tension left over from the night before and some scrappy play as a result. The first period ended 0-0 with both goalies putting in a solid performance.  But as the second period started the nervousness dissolved and Fire looked more like the team that had previously had a long unbeaten run.

With just 3:49 of the second period Elis Sheppard and Robert Sedlak sent Jordon Powell on a breakaway and Powell finished with a fantastic deke on Dibble. 10mins later Phill Manny scored with a shot from the point after Sadler and Newton and worked the puck down low well to find Manny open on the point for goal number 2. Credit to Bristol they battled back hard until the end but it was Fire to find the net for the 3rd time. Deacon and Sedlak working the puck well to find Powell open on the back door to fire home.

Cardiff Fire had their first home win of the season in what was overall an exciting successful weekend.

Once again we would like to thank everybody that attended.  We hope you enjoyed supporting the Fire and will be back to support us in our battle to win the league!